May 6, 2013

Textures for Dad

I love textures.
I love to feel them, and also to smell and taste almost everything (mainly rocks on field trips), but that's beside the point.
I love to use them in my work - paintings and jewelry alike, and one of the main reasons is my Dad.

pod3, detail

Dad was a very talented and skillful craftsman. As a child I loved to watch him work, so I became his diligent apprentice for decades. Much of what I learned from him is reflected in my art.

As I grew up, we began to dream on a joint studio, where we could work together after his retirement. Sadly, he lost his eyesight, so I began using textures in my work for him to"see" with his fingertips.

texture in jewelry

I lost Dad last week.
He, who was my most strict critic, was also one of the biggest fans of my work.
I will always cherish him, not just in my heart, but also through the design process of each painting and jewelry piece, and in my longing to "show" them to him.

Dad

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you have lost your father. I know how it feels. I know how at least 10 times a day, you will say in your head; "I have to show this to Dad" or "Wait till I tell Dad...." and then the crushing weight when you remember, he is not there. Enjoy your memories of him and keep up your excellent work as if he is looking over your shoulder, cause maybe he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! It's exactly how I feel...
      He is embedded in me and entwined in my work.
      I guess he will always be there, somehow.
      Thank you so much :)

      Delete